Anglican_Seal.gif (2439 bytes)  Christ_Church_Florence_Lettering.bmp (195606 bytes)  Anglican_Seal.gif (2439 bytes)

HOME

CHURCH PHOTOS

WEDDING POLICY

CONTACT US

Continued from Page 6


...place than Rev. Mr. Henry Cooke Salmon then living in Marion, South Carolina, who came to us for a monthly morning service. It had become a custom for whoever served us after we became a mission to spend Saturday night through Sunday in one of our homes. These cultured and rather cut-off men and women enjoyed knowing their minister and looked forward to his visit. Mr. Salmon was prepared to talk to anyone about anything from fishing to how "The Rosary" came to be written. He always had a good story to tell, and never forgot that he had come to bring the message. Like Mr. Guerry,he had a fine voice and helped with the music.
    Several times during his ministry in Darlington, when there was no one to hold the monthly service at Christ Church, Rev. Mr. Albert Thomas came to our rescue. Later he visited us as our Bishop. On March 3, 1918, Rev. Mr. Wilmer S. Poynor of Mt. Hebron, Alabama, came to Florence to begin his ministry at St. John's and to give Christ Church a monthly service. Very soon, however, one of the few families moved into town; later two others followed; those remaining were not interested in keeping the Church open; so it was closed. But Mr. Poynor kept a watchful eye on the buildings, and finding that it was not insured, notified the Bishop and asked permission to have it insured. During Lent of 1927, the Business Women's Chapter of the Auxiliary in St. John's studied rural missions. This aroused so great interest in the work in country communities, that, when one of the members suggested sponsoring a home-coming day at Christ Church, it was very favorably received. Mr. Poynor was only too pleased to arrange for it and the vestry and congregation gave their whole-hearted cooperation. St. John's was closed that morning, the first Sunday in May, and Christ Church was over flowing. Mrs. Grimsley (Annie) came out and the choir. We had the Communion Service and sermon and afterwards a regular old-time picnic lunch was served in the yard, and a reunion was held among friends who had not met at Christ Church for years. It was really the brightest spot in her history since the morning of the Consecration.

7


The following year the service was repeated, but the picnic was omitted; so altogether it did not have so full a meaning as the first time. Since that time the home-coming day service has been held in the afternoon. On a Sunday in October 1931, as he was driving out to hold a service, Mr. Poynor was surprised to see many little white children playing in the road near the Church. These he knew belonged to our neighbors refugeeing from the Depression. He lost no time in going to see Dr. Matthews to ask him if he would help him to start a Sunday School for these children. Both Dr. Matthews and his wife said they would be glad to do so; he then called on me and everyone else who would be willing to help. On the following Sunday afternoon, we enrolled twenty children and eight grown-ups, four of whom volunteered as teachers. Dr. Matthews acted as superintendent and teacher of the Bible class; Mrs. Jordon and Mary Draughan Wiencoff were organist and choir leader. The school ran for three years with gratifying results. At the end of this time the refugees scattered to more prosperous jobs and homes, and having served its purpose, the school was closed. In 1934, during Mr. Poynor's ministry,Mrs. D. D. Tabor visited St.John's as a U.T.O. worker. Soon after that The Woman's Auxiliary to the Board of Missions became the Auxiliary to the National Council, giving it a much wider scope and significance. About this time there was a reshuffling of the women of the parish and the old societies were designated as chapters of the Auxiliary and given new names. Mrs. J. W. Wallace says, that soon after this Mrs.Poynor was their guest at a meeting of the Christ Church Guild held at the home of Mrs. J. C. C. Brunson. She suggested that they get in line with St. John's and consider themselves a chapter of the Auxiliary with the name, Alice Gregg; this advice was favorably received, Mrs. J. 'W. Wallace continuing as leader and Mrs. H. E. Corrie secretary and treasurer.
    In 1945 the Church was badly in need of repairs, particularly a new roof. So Mr. Poynor put on a drive to raise funds. Mr. James Clarke of Back Swamp,... continued next page.

8


Pages i & ii    Pages iii, 1 & 2    Pages 3 & 4     Pages 5 & 6    Pages 7 & 8    Pages 9 & 10     Pages 11 & 12    Pages 13 & 14     Pages 15 & 16    Pages 17 & 18

CCF_Previous_Page_Button.gif (1619 bytes)    CCF_Next_Page_Button.gif (1469 bytes)