Anglican_Seal.gif (2439 bytes)  Christ_Church_Florence_Lettering.bmp (195606 bytes)  Anglican_Seal.gif (2439 bytes)





Continued from Page 4

...the last years of his ministry, and no doubt, kept the Church open after Mr. Moore's death until such time as Mr. Motte could come over from Cheraw to hold services for us in 1877.  Just at the outbreak of the War, Colonel Archibald Waring purchased the plantation, The Savannas, for a permanent home, and he and his family became Christ Church people.
    In 1860 Mrs. Frances Church came as a refugee from Charleston to the junction which afterwards became the town of Florence. In her room at the hotel she had the Episcopal service every Sunday morning getting whomsoever she could to conduct it. Mr. Howe, as we said before, living in the Christ Church neighborhood, came to her aid and gave a service whenever he could. This little band became our St. John's Church; and from then on the history of Christ Church, eighteen years the older, and St. John's is very closely interwoven. Separated rather than connected by six miles of dirt road that was almost impassable in winter, they shared the same minister almost continuously until today. At the end of the war a number of those families who had meant so much to Christ Church moved into the town of Florence and helped to build St. John's as zealously as they had worked in Christ Church. Among these were the Harllees, Lucases, and Maxwells.
    Mr. Motte was followed in December 1879 by the Rev. Mr. Edwin Steele who came here a very young man and naturally chose his wife from among the girls in his congregation. He was married to Mary Ashby, December14, 1880 in Christ Church by the Rev. Mr. Motte. He soon resigned to go to Orangeburg, but returned to live among us and serve us again until his health failed and he was obliged to retire. He died at the age of thirty-four in a cottage known as the "Lodge" on his father-in-law's plantation March5, 1885. Like Mr. Moore he is buried among those he served at Christ Church.
    I have no dates to substantiate this statement, but I think it was just after Mr. Steele's death that Christ Church was reduced from a parish to a mission.
    Mr. Motte served us again until the fall of 1888, when the Rev. Mr. W. A. Guerry, fresh from the Seminary and overflowing with enthusiasm and energy,


came as an inspiration to four charges: Florence, Darlington, Marion, and as it was then known Mars Bluff. He had everything that was needed in a minister, even a fine voice to help with the singing. In 1893 he was called to Sewanee to become Headmaster of the Grammar School there.
    We were so fortunate as to have come to us in the fall of 1893, Rev. R. W. Barnwell, well known for his brilliant thinking and charming personality. In 1895 he was called to Grace Church, Charleston, South Carolina, as assistant rector, and for the next several months Rev. Mr. William H. Barnwell of Stateburg gave us an occasional service. He was followed by Rev. Mr. James McGruder of Mississippi then rector of St. Matthews Church in Darlington. Mr. McGruder was a very likable and able man and we hated to give him up. In 1897 Rev. Mr. R. Barnwell returned to Florence and ministered to Christ Church until 1901, when he resigned to go to St. Pauls in Richmond, Virginia.
    In 1901 Rev. Mr. Harold Thomas became rector of St. John's in Florence and came out once a month for a service in Christ Church. Later Mr. Thomas accepted a call to St. James in Wilmington, North Carolina and was followed at St. John's by the Rev. Mr. Edw. Callendar, a Scotchman, who served St. John's and Christ Church from 1905 to 1907.
    It was under Mr. Callendar's leadership that the first women's organization was formed at Christ Church; in fact I think it was the first working group of any kind to be formed in the congregation, It was called "The Christ Church Guild" and in the following ten years did a tremendous amount of work for the Home at York and for the community. Mrs. Eli Gregg was our first president, Mrs. J. Wallace, vice president, and Mrs. Robert Rogers, Sr., secretary and treasurer. We adopted a daughter at the Home, Lurline Philips, and had so much fun buying and making her clothes.
    When Mr. Thomas came back to St. John's in 1907, and we found we were not to have him, we were bitterly disappointed; for all of us were devotedly attached to Mr. Thomas. We could not have found a better person to take his... continued next page.


Pages i & ii    Pages iii, 1 & 2    Pages 3 & 4     Pages 5 & 6    Pages 7 & 8    Pages 9 & 10     Pages 11 & 12    Pages 13 & 14     Pages 15 & 16    Pages 17 & 18

CCF_Previous_Page_Button.gif (1619 bytes)    CCF_Next_Page_Button.gif (1469 bytes)